Updated May 24, 2018
Stuart Kaplow, Nancy Hudes and Regulatory Solutions Consultancy, LLC (Kaplow and Hudes) are concerned about privacy issues and want you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose information.
Personal Information We May Collect
We collect two types of information in connection with our Sites: Personal Information and Other Information. “Personal Information” is information that identifies you or relates to you as an individual. “Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual. Other Information is addressed below, under the heading “OTHER INFORMATION”.
We may collect Personal Information through our Sites such as:
- Email address
- Telephone number
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters or publications that you request, to register you for events, and to sponsor events and evaluate sponsorship requests.
- to send you legal updates and mailings relating to seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you, in accordance with applicable law.
- to keep a record of your contact information and correspondence, if you contact us through our Sites, and to use such information and correspondence to respond to you.
- to send you administrative information, including information regarding our Sites and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- to provide services, including seminars and other events.
- to facilitate social sharing functionality.
- to provide relevant information that match your stated preferences or your company’s industry on our Sites.
- for our internal business purposes, such as improving or modifying our Sites and operating and expanding our business activities.
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public or government authorities, including public or government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of you or others; or (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- to our third-party service providers which provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, IT services and infrastructure, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other similar services.
- to a third party (whether affiliated or unaffiliated with us) in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding).
- by you, on blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to visitors to our Sites and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on our Sites.
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public or government authorities, including public or government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of our affiliates, you or others; or (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and Other Information provided by you
- Aggregated information
- Zip code
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third-party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser: Most Internet browsers transmit certain information to websites that you visit, such as your computer’s type (Windows or Macintosh) and its Media Access Control (MAC) address and screen resolution, and the type and version of your computer’s Operating System and browser. We use this information to ensure that our Sites functions properly.
- Using applications: We may use applications, including mobile applications or widgets, to collect information from you.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Sites pages and HTML-formatted email messages to, among other things, track the actions of Sites users and email recipients, measure the success of marketing campaigns and compile statistics about Sites usage and response rates.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user visits our Sites, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many websites. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating Sites usage levels, helping diagnose server problems and administering our Sites.
- From you: We collect information when voluntarily provided by you, such as your company, title, interests and preferred means of communication. Unless combined with Personal Information, such information does not personally identify you or any other user of our Sites.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of our Sites. For example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code.
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law. In those situations, we may use and disclose Other Information for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information, as well as for the uses listed in the “How We May Collect Other Information” section above.
In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your company and title). If we combine any Other Information with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated by us as Personal Information as long as it is so combined.
We use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information under our control. Unfortunately, no data storage system or method of data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please do not send sensitive or confidential information to us by email or by any other means in connection with our Sites. If you have reason to believe that your communications with us have been compromised in any way, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us as provided in the “CONTACTING US” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes:
If you no longer wish to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving these marketing-related emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in any such message. We aim to comply with such request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you administrative messages.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
You may request to review, correct, update, suppress or otherwise modify any Personal Information that you have previously provided to us through our Sites, or object to the use of such Personally Identifiable Information by us. You may exercise these rights by emailing email@example.com or logging on to the “Manage Subscriptions” section of our website. Additionally, you may also oppose the processing or transferring of Personal Information to the extent the laws of your country require, if you have a legitimate reason to do so.
In your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed, and whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we will only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We aim to comply with requests as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records. Such information will not be removed. We may, from time to time, re-contact former users of our Sites. Finally, we are not responsible for removing information from the databases of third parties (such as service providers) with whom we have shared your Personal Information.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION FOR INDIVIDUAL CALIFORNIA USERS
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties (i.e., our affiliates) for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of such third parties. You may make such a request no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or mailing addresses specified in this section.
USE OF SITE BY MINORS
Our Sites is not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through our Sites.
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using our Sites you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those in your country.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., Social Security numbers, credit card or other payment card information, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through our Sites or otherwise to us.